Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bintan Island, Indonesia

This weekend we took the ferry over to Bintan Island, Indonesia. We went with some friends and their 2 kids and had a blast! We stayed in a beach-front villa and packed the weekend with as many activities as humanly possible. Highlights of the trip were watching the elephant show and volunteering during the show. We all had our turn to make the show even more fun. Shirley and I volunteered without knowing what we were up for. Scary idea...we were told to lie down with a little space between each of us (this is where I really got scared). Then we were told not to move. (ok, I'm terrified now) Here comes the elephant. He literally walked over the top of us; stepping between us. You can tell from the look on my face that I was praying this elephant knew what he was doing and was a good judge of distance. Luckily we made it out unharmed, and now I can say it was pretty cool!





Then we rented jet skis for an hour. Not my favorite activity. The water was so rough! Adam was driving and I think we were airborne more than on the surface of the water. Next, we rented dune buggies (after the downpour of rain). I think it was my favorite part of the weekend. We went through giant mud puddles and water and mud covered every inch of us...including shooting up our noses.





On our last day we rode the banana boat, which was a blast. I managed to hold on, but today I'm really sore. Then we lounged at the pool for the rest of the afternoon. Great weekend!

Shirley giving the monkey a drink


pool overlooking the ocean

3 comments:

mariah c said...

That picture of the elephant trick looks terrifying! I'm fairly certain the exact same look would be on my face too. What a fun weekend!

Troy said...

Wow. My problem would have been that my big ol' belly would have gotten in the way and the elephant woulda tripped over it and ... well, yeah, we'll leave it at that.

Looks like a great trip!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great weekend - but I cried at the pic of the elephant stepping over you- I'm such a softee when my favorite people are terrorized.
You are having such great adventures! I'm very proud of you.